How do baby registries work and how to build one? By Yazmin Rangel.- The happiness of waiting for a new member in the family does not compare with anything, when I was expecting my baby, everything was clothes, bottles, pacifiers and researching on the Internet the most useful products for the new adventure of parenting; but also, receiving gifts from my mom, my in-laws and my loved ones, who usually did not know what we needed or what we already had.
This is how baby registries work: You create at a store a list of items that you would like to receive as gifts, (such as strollers, bottles etc.) which your family and friends can purchase for you, and thus, facilitating their task of choosing the presents and preventing a duplicity of gifts.
Even when we were making the preparations for our Baby Shower many relatives talked about bringing so many gifts for the baby, The problem is that we already had most of them, that’s why I decided to have a Baby Registry, which I will explain to you, what it is and how they work.
WHAT IS THE MEANING AND PURPOSE OF A BABY REGISTRY AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
A Baby Registry is a list of special items for the baby that we can create from our local store or an online store and we can share to our loved ones so they know what to give us, it works just as a wishlist that your family an friends will see before you throw a baby shower or the day your baby will be born.
I know, maybe you feel uncomfortable telling people what kind of products you want instead of letting them choose one according to their possibilities, budget, and good will, but think as well that many of them do not want to be guessing, do you like giving a present and find out that perhaps other two people gave the same thing as you?
In the list you can put a variety of items of different prices. From baskets, clothes and utensils to feed the baby to cribs and infant car seats.
It is worth noting that there are Internet sites specializing in baby products that do not have a physical store.
It is quite common for moms who will have a baby shower to create a Baby Shower Registry (which is basically the same). On some occasions, instructions on how to find or use the registry are included in the invitations.
Most of the departmental stores that offer these registries have special machines where people can print the list containing the items selected by the mother as well as special promotions, such as discounts or gift complements. Once the product is paid for, the cashier (or the e-shop) deactivates the item in the register, so that it does not duplicate, that is the purpose of a baby registry.
HOW CAN I BUILD A BABY REGISTRY?
It is important that you start with a list of items that you would like to receive, select the items by categories, such as “baby room”, “hygiene”, “breastfeeding”, “for mom”, etc. Try to choose products within your friends’ budget, do not add too expensive products if you know they can not afford something like that!
- One of the coolest things about baby registries (especially online), is that you can add items at any time in most of them, just as they come to your mind, so the first thing that you need is to decide where to register your list. choosing a store with a big selection of items is a must, if you see that their catalog is too limited, skip that one.
- Remember to check out the refund policy before choosing your registry and the items.
POPULAR BABY REGISTRIES
Many mothers create their gift list at Target, Buy Buy Baby or baby.list. You can have lists in several stores and they all allow you to create it in their website, so you can go work on it and add items little by little.
The good thing about most of these stores is that they offer you a discount coupon (completion coupon) to buy what is left over from your list after the baby shower when the date of delivery approaches.
Another option is to create a Universal Baby Registry, you may find some of them at Myregistry.com or BabyList, where you can add gifts from several sites. You can usually put a button in your navigation panel to easily add the products you see on other web pages.
The advantage is having everything in one place (instead of keeping several lists in different stores), but the disadvantage is that these sites do not usually offer a coupon in the end.
A good combination of both types of Baby Registries is Amazon, which in addition to allowing you to select from the wide variety of products it sells, it is also a universal record. Amazon offers a coupon for most of the products you choose from its website, but not for those that are part of the Universal Registry.
IS THERE A COST INVOLVED IN A BABY REGISTRY?
In essence, a baby registry is free, but you should consider some costs that may be involved for example:
- Some baby registries bay charge a fee for some transactions (especially when there is a gift card involved or a payment service provider, like paypal or payoneer). This could cost between 1% or 2% of the total price of the gift.
- A fee if, for instance, when there is a refund or you want to exchange an item.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE TO BUILDING A BABY REGISTRY
- Start planning in advance, preferably about 10 to 12 weeks before your baby shower (if it is a baby shower registry and you already know the gender) or before the baby is born.
- Research your prefered retailers, take a look at their conditions, for instance: if they offer postbirth discounts, refund and shipment policies etc. It is better to choose a store you are already comfortable with and make sure their catalogue is vast enough. Take into account your family’s budget, for example, if they are wealthy you may choose something like POTTERY BARN, others like Amazon are for a wider public.
- Research your preferred items. Remember that you may want to end up buying some of these, especially when they offer discounts, check out the price, your budget and your needs, then add them to your list little by little. Always keep in mind choosing from a wide variety of prices, not only expensive or cheap products, I recommend an average of $30 for the cheaper items and $800 for the most expensive. (Check out the list below)
- Let your relatives and friends know about your baby registry, most of the times this can be done through the retailer but you may also want to create a printable. If you have the skills you can create it yourself or you can pay someone to do it, I like FIVERR for that kind of stuff, for as little as $5 dollars some of them can create a pretty printable list.
WHAT ITEMS SHOULD I INCLUDE IN MY BABY REGISTRY LIST?
The list will depend a lot on your taste and parenting style. Are you going to breastfeed or give formula? Are you going to use disposable or cloth diapers? You should keep these and other questions in mind when you make your list.
Make sure to include a variety of prices for all budgets.
- Cover cloth (for cloth diapers)
- Wet wipes
- Container for dirty diapers
Hygiene and health
- nail clipper
- nasal aspirator
- hooded towel
- laundry detergent for children
- baby bottles
- milk extractor
- tableware and cutlery
- High chair
- Pillow or breastfeeding pad
- Bed sheets
- Waterproof protector for mattress
- Rocking chair
- baby monitor system
- Rocking chair or hammock
- Play carpet
- Safety seat
- Baby carrier
WHAT NOT TO PUT ON MY BABY REGISTRY LIST?
- Most of the moms choose not to include clothes, shoes, blankets, bibs or pacifiers since the guests usually buy them anyway and also because when buying clothes, the models you chose when you created the list may not be available.
- I think this will sound kind of obvious, but do not include formula, you do not know if it will be the right one for your baby.
- Some moms suggest not to include a bottle warmer since they take longer to warm the milk, the truth is that at least for me it, was a life saver, especially at some hotels where there was not any other way to warm it.